Saturday, June 16, 2012

Arrival

It's almost 9 pm (Eastern time) and I've now been in Connecticut for a few hours. David is upstairs, passed out in bed, and Mom went up even before David to lie down. Dad and I are currently watching Ancient Aliens (which he's never seen before) and I busted out the laptop.

I'm happy to be here, but I don't think it's fully hit me, the reality of the situation, the fact I will be here for six weeks and side effects and treatment and everything else.

Liz (my sister), Paul-John (her husband), and Guinevere (best niece in the world) were here when we arrived and we enjoyed dinner together, although Mom wasn't able to eat much. We did, however, have the opportunity to mock her "nausea decision making tree" because literally every option points to "call your doctor" and at least two tell you to look for the suggestions on another pamphlet, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Christopher arrived later on in the evening and we were able to chat for a bit. It's a good thing I bought new shoes prior to arriving because I found out he can't give me his discount at the shoe store where he is an assistant manager.

I woke up at 4 am (Mountain time) and I'm trying to stay up until 9 or 10 so that I already begin adjusting to the new time zone. Mom's treatment is before 9am every day, so I want to be as awake as possible which is never easy for me in the mornings. Dad is now watching the Red Sox and I'm wondering how much longer I can stay awake before joining David. I'm oddly alert at the moment but know that the minute I get into bed I am going to be out like a light. (Apparently being at my parents I just want to use old people phrases like no other, I have already edited out like three other ones).

Tomorrow we are taking my Grandfather to dinner for his 75th birthday/Father's Day, and then Monday it is radiation and chemo all in one day. Whether I'm ready for it or not, it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment